Friday, October 8, 2010

My chapbook *Instants* (2006) now released in electronic format

Instants, my chapbook from Ugly Duckling Presse (2006), has now been released in electronic format. 



A series of snapshot poems inspired by the life and work of the eccentric photographer Eadweard Muybridge, who murdered his wife's lover, then went on to become one of the pioneers of motion photography and the grandfather of cinema.  Handmade by members of the Ugly Duckling collective, the cover image, folded in two, echoes Breughel's "Landscape with the Fall of Icarus" and the larger split/subject that the serial poem dramatizes.  Plus, it's a flip-book as well.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Um that's kind of weird. Did he serve time for that crime? I certainly hope so. What happened with his marriage?

Congrats on your book!

Philip Metres said...

Katherine, amazingly, he was acquitted.

Philip Metres said...

As for the marriage, I think that was the end.

Nick Demske said...

hooray internet publications. Though, I admit, as far as beautiful chaps, it's hard to beat Ugly Duckling and Instants was no exception. My public library has it the flesh! Yea, Racine!