Friday, January 29, 2010

Howard Zinn is Dead; Long Live Howard Zinn! (Oh Yeah, & Salinger)

The passing of J.D. Salinger and Howard Zinn in a couple days led me through a confusing set of emotions. For Zinn, I felt a keen grief at the loss, but a strong sense that his legacy and vision will live on--though we won't have someone quite like him--a popular leftist historian, ex-bomber pilot pacifist radical, always willing to let the dissenters take the center stage. Salinger meant something to me when I was 17, but his rapid and complete withdrawal from the world--his death before his actual death--leaves me feeling that he failed, somehow. Compare the size of the obits of Zinn and Salinger; I'd gladly take Zinn over Salinger, despite Zinn's obvious flaws. Zen J.D. went gentle into that good night. Pacifist Zinn fought until the end.


www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Political HumorHealth Care Crisis

No comments: