Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Naomi Shihab Nye on Peace in the Middle East

Check out this recent interview with Palestinian-American poet Naomi Shihab Nye on poetry, Palestine, and peace.

Whenever I read her words, I feel the presiding spirit of the great nonviolent thinkers and writers--Tolstoy, Gandhi, King, Stafford. It ends with this:

Melissa Tuckey: Do you believe peace is possible? What are your hopes for Israel and for Palestine? Do you support one state in Israel/ Palestine or two?

Naomi Shihab Nye: Yes, I believe peace is possible. As my father kept saying toward the end of his life, people will have to become exhausted enough with fighting to embrace peace. From what I hear, many, on both "sides" have been exhausted enough to try something better for quite a long time. My hopes are for a one-state cooperative solution (because the territory is simply so small) in which Palestinian and Israeli citizens may share their strengths and resources in mutual respect. I don't see, at this point, how a two-state solution could work as well. The wall must go down. Don't bring it to Texas, either, we have enough problems with our own stupid wall!

No comments: